Medical Records Abstractor-Novice
Pay Rate: $28 / hour
Medical Records Abstractor (rev 11.30.2021)
Bachelor' s degree in public health, biology, or other health-related fields.
Minimum of one (1) year previous experience as a clinical research coordinator or work in health-related registries, including cancer, fetal/infant mortality review, maternal mortality review, etc. Is preferred.
1+ year of experience with clinical knowledge, interpreting medical records, entering data accurately.
Strong organizational and communication (written/verbal) skills.
General computer knowledge, including Microsoft Office.
May consider applicants with associate degrees with a minimum of three (3) years' experience in clinical research or a health-related registry.
Preferred: Knowledge of maternal health issues, including clinical and social determinants.
• This position is under the direct supervision of an Epidemiologist. The Medical Record Abstractor communicates and collaborates on a regular basis with the supervisor, Infectious Disease Epidemiology program lead, and other team members.
• The Medical Record Abstractor shall conduct medical record review and abstraction of assigned cases to identify and document variables of interest. Familiarity with medical records including multiple systems as well as experience with common medical terminology is preferred
• The Medical Record Abstractor will abstract demographic diagnostic, clinical, epidemiologic, and administrative data from medical records into a computerized case record system following defined procedures.
• The Medical Record Abstractor shall act as a liaison between the Surveillance Program and care facilities to assist with the coordination of medical records access and follow-up on identified cases.
• The Medical Records Abstractor will work to improve data quality through data backfill as necessary
• The Medical Record Abstractor shall monitor the progression of assigned work and respond to and mitigate barriers to completing the assigned work on time.
• The Medical Record Abstractor shall provide updates to supervisor about the progression of the assigned work.
• The Medical Record Abstractor shall generate and compile reports as necessary in coordination with supervisor and team members
Collect/request records from hospitals, clinics, coroners/medical examiners, police, department of transportation, clinics, etc.
Collect data on pregnancy associated deaths and request records for review.
Perform comprehensive reviews of all record types.
Abstract demographic, diagnostic, clinical, epidemiologic, and administrative data from all records into a computerized case record.
Act as liaison between ERASE MM program and area facilities.
Work towards the establishment of remote access to medical records.
Generate and compile reports, as necessary.
Perform other duties as assigned.