Correctional Licensed Practical Nurse-Advanced
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Requires current Pennsylvania License for Practical Nurse or is eligible to sit for the Practical Nurse Licensure Examination.
Proficient computer skills to include, but not limited to, Microsoft Office products.
Ability to enter health data for residents into electronic medical records data base.
• Performs all aspects of general nursing care and clinical duties for which licensing and training apply
• Reports to work on a regular basis and performs duties for the entire work shift.
• Must be available to work overtime as required by management.
• Must negotiate stairways in housing units to provide nursing assistance when called to the site.
• Interacts with inmate clients to resolve conflicts related to their health care and to supervise them as they work in the medical department.
• Communicate both written and orally effectively.
• Lift and/or support to reposition, transfer, and ambulate inmates.
• Push and pull to move inmates in geri-wheel chairs and meal/medication carts.
• Manual dexterity of upper extremities to perform direct patient care.
• Corrected vision to be able to visually assess inmates and maintain personal safety.
• Must hear sufficiently to communicate and/or telephone, and use of stethoscope.
Implements nursing care plans as assigned and directed by the Registered Nurse or Physician by checking vital signs, administering medications, performing treatments, utilizing restorative techniques, and activities of daily living, and reinforces education in order to ensure quality service is provided.
Assesses inmates’ needs by appropriate observations and reports physical and emotional behavior of inmates.
Prepares and administers medications ordered by the physician and records the administration of medications and treatments.
Carries out therapeutic treatment prescribed or ordered for the inmate.
Adheres to all infection control procedures.
Completes or assists inmates with daily living activities and hygiene to insure basic physical care needs are met.
Inventories supplies and equipment and maintains adequate stock of all treatment areas.
Assists in preparing medical incident reports on injuries or sudden illnesses of inmates.
Sterilizes supplies and instruments using chemical and steam methods.
Administers visual acuity, telebinocular examinations, ekg’ s. Etc.
Responds to emergencies and administer first aid and CPR when appropriate medical conditions are present.
Maintains job skills by attendance at mandatory in-service, out-service and meetings.